I. INFORMATION WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU
We may collect the following types of information about you which are described in more detail below: (A) information you provide to us, (B) information we may automatically collect, (C) information we receive from third parties, and (D) information we collect in exploring or during an attorney-client relationship. All of the information listed in (A)-(D) above, detailed below, is hereinafter referred to as “Information.”
A. Information You Provide to Us
We may collect your information when you provide it to us during your direct interactions through our Website, such as when you complete any “contact us” forms, send us emails about inquiries or job opportunities, sign up for our newsletter, or other areas in which you otherwise interact with our Website. The Information we may collect and maintain about you includes:
- First and last name
- Email address
- Telephone numbers
- Postal address
B. Information We Automatically Collect
GMC may also collect Information about you from your visit to our Website including:
- IP address, which is the number associated with the service through which you access the Internet, like your Internet service provider (“ISP”), your company, or your university;
- Your geographic location and time zone;
- Date and time of your visit;
- Your device, type of computer, web browsers, search engine used, operating system, or platform you use or web browser;
- Domain server;
- Cookies that are installed on your device;
- Data identifying the web pages you visited prior to and after visiting our Website; and/or
- Information about the individual web pages or products that you view, what websites or search terms referred you to our Website, and information about how you interact with our Website.
We may collect Information using the following technologies:
- “Cookies” are small digital files that are transferred to your computer or smartphone’s hard drive when you visit a website or click on a URL. Cookies allow us to operate and personalize our Website, assist with functionality of our Website, to track your usage, and to deliver targeted advertisements to you. “Session Variables” are similar to Cookies except that they remain on our servers and are not transferred to your computer or smartphone. Usage of a Cookie or Session Variable is in no way linked to your name or address. Once you close your Web browser, the Cookie or Session Variable simply terminates. If you reject the Cookie or Session Variable, you may still use the Website.
- Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, unless you have configured yours not to accept them. You can program your browser not to accept cookies, but if you do, you may not be able to use certain portions of our Website, and our Website will not be able to customize certain functions according to your preferences.
- Cookies placed on our Website may be executed by third parties such as Google, Bing, Facebook and other ad networks. For more information about third party cookies and related advertising and how to opt-out of these practices with companies participating in industry self-regulation, please visit About Ads at http://optout.aboutads.info/
- “Web Beacons/Pixels” are graphic images or web programming code that may be included on our Website to help us count visitors to our Website, monitor how you navigate our Website, or to count how many particular links posted on our Website were actually viewed.
- Our Website may use retargeting pixels from Google, Facebook and other ad networks. Please visit their websites for their privacy policies and consent and opt-out mechanisms, or visit sites that may help block ad tracking, such as About Ads at http://optout.aboutads.info/“Log Files” track actions occurring on our Website, and collect data including your IP address, browser type, Internet service provider, referring/exit pages, and date/time stamps.
- “Analytics” are tools we use, such as Google Analytics, to help provide us with information about traffic to our Website. These services use the data collected to track and monitor the use of our Website, which it shares with other services and websites who use the collected data to contextualize and personalize the ads of its own advertising network.
- “Mobile Application Technologies” and mobile devices may automatically provide us with information about your device, your phone number, and your physical location if you access our Website through a mobile device.
C. Information We May Receive from Third Parties
We may collect additional Information about you from third-party websites, social media platforms, and/or sources providing publicly-available information (e.g., from the U.S. Postal Service) to help us provide services to you, help prevent fraud, and for marketing and advertising purposes.
Information we may access about you, with your consent, may include, but is not limited to, your social media platform information, your location data, your list of contacts, friends or followers and certain information about your activities on the social media platforms. Please keep in mind that when you provide Information to us on a third-party website or platform, the Information you provide may be separately collected by the third-party website or the social media platform.
D. Information Collected from Potential and Actual Clients and Vendors
We may receive information from or on behalf of our clients and potential clients and vendors that help us operate our business and provide services, which could cover a wide area of information. We use this information in providing legal services and for marketing, recruiting, networking, and business operational and educational purposes. We may supplement this information with information we gather from other sources, such as referral sources and publicly-available sources.
E. Do Not Track (DNT)
DNT is an optional browser setting that allows you to express your preferences regarding tracking by advertisers and other third parties. We do not respond to DNT signals.
II. HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
A. Use and Purpose of Processing Your Information
We may use and process your Information for things that may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- To provide legal services or explore a potential attorney-client relationship (use of our Website is for advertising purposes and does not create an attorney-client relationship);
- To provide you with the Website’s services and related products, promotions, newsletters, and information you request;
- To respond to your inquiries and provide you with requested information and other communications, including by email or text messages, and including alerts, notification of promotions, contests, and events;
- For marketing and advertising purposes, including sending you promotional material on our behalf or on behalf of other third parties, provided that you have not already opted-out of receiving such communications;
- To fulfill contracts we have with you;
- To manage, improve and foster relationships with third-party service providers, including vendors, suppliers, and business partners;
- To maintain, improve, customize, or administer the Website, perform business analyses, or other internal purposes to improve the quality of our business, the Website, resolve technical problems, or improve security or develop other products and services;
- To comply with our Terms and Conditions of Use;
- To provide analytics for business purposes and business intelligence;
- To comply with any applicable laws and regulations and respond to lawful requests; and/or
- For any other purposes disclosed to you at the time we collect your Information and/or pursuant to your consent.
B. Sharing Your Information
We may disclose anonymized aggregated information about our users, such as aggregate user statistics and Information about you, with non-affiliated third parties.
- Third-Party Service Providers. We may share your Information with third-party service providers that perform certain functions or services on our behalf (such as to host services on our Website, manage databases, perform analyses, provide customer service, or send communications for us). These third-party service providers are authorized to use your Information only as necessary to provide these services to us. In some instances, we may aggregate Information we collect so third parties do not have access to your particular Information to identify you individually.
- Disclosure of Information for Legal and Administrative Reasons. We may disclose your Information without notice: (i) when required by law or to comply with a court order, subpoena, search warrant, or other legal process; (ii) to cooperate or undertake an internal or external investigation or audit; (iii) to comply with legal, regulatory or administrative requirements of governmental authorities (including, without limitation, requests from the governmental agency authorities to view your Information); (iv) to protect and defend the rights, property or safety of us, our employees, attorneys, agents, contractors and partners, and the Website Service users; (v) to enforce or apply our Terms & Conditions; and (vi) to verify the identity of the user of our Website.
- Business Transfers. Your Information may be transferred, sold or otherwise conveyed (“Conveyed”) to a third party where we: (i) merge with or are acquired by another business entity; (ii) sell all or substantially all of our assets; (iii) are adjudicated bankrupt; or (iv) are liquidated or otherwise reorganize. You agree to any and all such Conveyances of your Information.
- Online Communications: If you choose to share with us comments, post a review, participate in a survey, provide a testimonial, or other Information, you consent and agree that we may make it available generally to the public. The Information you share will not be returned to you unless we receive such a request in writing from you and determine, in our sole discretion, to honor such request.
III. LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES
While on the Website or when viewing an e-mail or other content provided by us or the Website, you may encounter links to other websites operated by third parties, such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and LinkedIn. These other websites may set their own cookies, collect data or have their own privacy policies and practices. We are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such third party websites and we encourage you to review the privacy policies of these sites as soon as you enter them. Links to any third party website or content do not constitute or imply an endorsement or recommendation by us of the linked website or content.
IV. INFORMATION SECURITY
We use industry-standard procedures and various technical, administrative and physical safeguards to help protect the confidentiality of your Information. However, you should assume that no data transmitted over the Internet or stored or maintained by us or our third-party service providers can be 100% secure. Therefore, although we believe the measures implemented by us reduce the likelihood of security problems to a level appropriate to the type of data involved, we do not promise or guarantee, and you should not expect, that your Information or private communications will always remain private or secure. We do not guarantee that your Information will not be misused by third parties. We are not responsible for the circumvention of any privacy settings or security features. You agree that we will not have any liability for misuse, access, acquisition, deletion, or disclosure of your Information.
If you believe that your Information has been access or acquired by an unauthorized person, you shall promptly Contact Us at Admin@gmclaw.com so that necessary measures can be taken.
V. DATA RETENTION
We will retain your Information for as long as needed to provide you services. If you wish to cancel your account or request that we no longer use your Information to provide you services, please contact us at Admin@gmclaw.com. We will retain and use your Information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements. In accordance with our routine record keeping, we may delete certain records that contact Information you have submitted to us. We are under no obligation to store such Information indefinitely and disclaim any liability arising out of, or related to, the destruction of such Information.
VI. HOW WE WILL CONTACT YOU
You agree that we, or third-party service providers with whom we collaborate, may communicate with you regarding our Website via electronic messages, including email, text message, or mobile push notification to, for example, send you information relating to our products and services that we think may be of interest to you, communicate with you about upcoming events and other news about products and services provided by or through us through permissible targeted advertisements. See Your Choices, below, for how you can update the way we contact you.
VII. YOUR CHOICES
- Email. By using our Website, you agree that we may contact you by email as set forth herein. If you do not want to receive marketing and promotional emails from us, you may click on the “unsubscribe” link in the email to unsubscribe and opt-out of marketing email communications or Contact Us at Admin@gmclaw.com.
- Text Messages. By using our Website, you agree to be reached by text message. If you no longer want to receive text messages from us, reply STOP (or as otherwise instructed) in the text message or Contact Us at Admin@gmclaw.com.
- Location Choices. You can change the privacy settings of your device at any time to turn off the sharing of location information with our Website. If you choose to turn off location services, this could affect certain features or services of our Website. If you have specific questions about the privacy settings of your device, we suggest you contact the manufacturer of your device or your mobile service provider for help.
- Opting Out of Direct Marketing. To exercise choices regarding the marketing information you receive, you may also review the following links:
- You may opt-out of tracking and receiving tailored advertisements on your mobile device by some mobile advertising companies and other similar entities by downloading the App Choices app at www.aboutads.info/appchoices.
- You may opt-out of receiving permissible targeted advertisements by using the NAI Opt-out tool available at http://optout.networkadvertising.org/?c=1 or visiting About Ads at http://optout.aboutads.info.
- You can opt-out of having your activity on our Website made available to Google Analytics by installing the Google Analytics opt-out add-on for your web browser by visiting: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout for your web browser.
VIII. CHILDREN’S INFORMATION
The Website is not intended for individuals under the age of eighteen (18) years old. By using our Website, you agree that you are eighteen (18) years or older. If we have actual knowledge that a user is under thirteen (13) (or a higher age threshold where applicable) and has provided us with Information, we will take steps to comply with any applicable legal requirement to remove such Information. Contact us if you believe that we have mistakenly or unintentionally collected Information from a child under the age of thirteen (13).
X. HOW TO CONTACT US
Email us: Admin@gmclaw.com
Call us: (716) 856-4200
Write us: Gibson McAskill & Crosby LLP
69 Delaware Avenue, Suite 900
Buffalo, New York 14202-3866
Last Updated: January 2020